Deliciously sweet and spicy – thanks to the cinnamon and nutmeg – this date and banana smoothie bowl is a great source of antioxidants and fiber
This week we pay homage to the humble date – the concentrated sweet treat everyone loves. The frozen bananas help make the smoothie as thick as soft ice cream, which is the effect to aim for.
Dates are a good source of antioxidants and natural sugar, and their seeds contain more protein and fat than the flesh. They are also high in fiber, which helps clear the intestinal tract. Bananas are high in potassium and carbohydrate, but they are actually fairly low GI because their fiber and resistant starch content slow down the rate at which carbs enter the bloodstream.
– 6 dates
– 2 large bananas, skinned, frozen and cut into chunks
– 2 tbsp cashew butter, or nut butter of choice, such as almond
– 1 tbsp tahini
– Pinch of cinnamon
– Dusting of nutmeg
– 2tbsp cold Greek yogurt (or to desired consistency)
1. Stone the dates – note, the mix will not work quite as well with very dry dates.
2. Put all the ingredients into a blender and pulse until thick.
3. As always, you are aiming for the consistency of soft ice cream.
4. Start with the 2 tbsp yogurt, as the mix is quite dense and needs slackening off slightly, and add more if necessary. You don’t want the mix to become too liquid.
5. Pour into two bowls and decorate with your favorite toppings – you’re painting an attractive picture with these, so channel your inner artist – but add them just before serving, to prevent them sinking.
To taste: try chopped fresh figs, chopped toasted cashew nuts or chopped raspberries for a gorgeous colour pop!
Tell us what you think…
Did you enjoy this recipe, or have a smoothie of your own to share? We’d love to hear. Send us a message in the comments below.