Each fortnight, MCC co-founder Sara Khaled selects a fun or educational TV show that has caught her eye; tried and tested by her four young children. This week, Sarah takes a look at Apple TV’s reboot of popular 90s show Ghostwriter, guaranteed to keep your little ones on the edge of their seats!
Platform and streaming: Apple TV +
Age: 7+ (There are some mildly scary scenes not suitable for younger children)
This reboot of the popular 1990s kids TV show follows the adventures of four children who team up when a ghost haunting their neighbourhood bookstore starts releasing fictional characters into the real world. Now in its second season, each 25-minute episode focuses on a new story, while the friends work together to solve the mystery of the ghost’s unfinished business.
Why we love it
- Ghostwriter manages to get the balance between fun to watch and educational just right – it’s guaranteed to get your kids excited about reading.
- Each episode is about a different book, and provides a great introduction to classic and modern titles.
- The four kids in the show are from different backgrounds, with different strengths and weaknesses. We see their characters develop throughout the series, and watch how they learn to work together to achieve success.
- The dialogue is really smart and not condescending to children.
- Visually, it’s really well done with some great special effects that will hold your kids’ attention.
Watch the trailer
About the author
Sara Khaled is based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, where she lives with her husband and four young children, aged between 6 months and 10 years old. A public health graduate of King Saud University, Sara is a co-founder of Moon Community Club, and passionate advocate of causes that promote social development.