This chocolate bliss ball recipe uses cacao and dates for a deliciously sweet, fudgy flavour that’s naturally gluten-free with no added sugar, making it the perfect healthy snack
Energy balls are commonly called ‘bliss balls’, and one bite will tell you why. Fudgy and chocolatey, these bliss balls are gluten-free, nutritious and have no added sugar (the sweetness is in the dates), so they are perfect for kids’ lunch boxes, as a snack when you want an energy boost, or when you’re craving something sweet, but healthy.
The best part is, they are completely customisable! Use more or less cacao, depending on how chocolatey you want it, give it a healthier kick by adding a couple of tablespoons pumpkin seeds or goji berries, use cashews instead of almonds – you’re spoiled for choice.
Makes 15-20 balls – depending on size
1 cup almonds (115 g)
1 cup Medjool dates (200 g)
2 tbsp cacao
1-2 tsp water (to help bind)
pinch of salt (optional)
Milled chia seeds
To Coat (optional)
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp freeze-dried berry powder
1. Place the almonds in a food processor and pulse until chopped into small pieces
2. Add the dates and the cacao. Add optional pinch of salt if you’d like, and mix again
3. Add a teaspoon of water at a time if it needs help binding
4. Roll into balls with your hands
5. Coat with desiccated coconut or coating of your choice (optional)
6. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to set and they’re ready to serve
7. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, although in water climates it’s better to store in the fridge
Tell us what you think…
Did you enjoy this recipe, or have a recipe of your own to share with us? We’d love to hear. Send us a message in the comments below and we’ll be in touch.