Whether you call them energy balls, power balls, or trail food, these snacks are designed to pack a lot of energy-dense ingredients into a small bite – but dense or not, they’re still much healthier than cake or fries.
Both dates and figs contain magnesium and potassium, and are excellent sources of dietary fiber, which will help prevent blood sugar spiking after digesting the carbohydrate content.
Flaxseeds also contain fiber but more specifically heart-friendly omega-3 fats. Try these little snacks if you and/or your children have a fit of the munchies hours before the evening meal.
Makes about 12 small balls
– 8 dried dates, ie Medjool, stones removed
– 16 dried figs
– ¼ cup almond butter, or any nut butter that you prefer
– ¼ cup ground flaxseed
– ¾ cup oats
– 1 tsp vanilla extract (not vanilla essence)
1) Put all the ingredients in a food processor.
2) Blend and pulse the mix for several minutes, scraping down if necessary, until it begins to form a clump.
3) Roll pinches of the mixture into balls of whatever size suits you and top with chopped nuts or oats if you wish.
4) Store in an airtight container in the fridge. These will keep for a couple of weeks but are highly unlikely to last that long!