Each fortnight, MCC co-founder Sara Khaled selects a fun or educational TV show that has caught her eye; tried and tested by her four young children. This week, Sarah takes a look at Netflix’s award-winning show, Ask The StoryBots.
Show: Ask the StoryBots
Platform and streaming: Netflix
Age: 5+ or younger (there’s something for everyone in StoryBots)
Now in its third season, the animated Emmy Award-winning series has been called the “best kids’ show on Netflix” by WIRED. Each 30 minute installment follows little creatures called the StoryBots – Beep, Boop, Bing, Bang and Bo – as they answer questions from curious kids, such as “how do eyes see?”, “where do planets come from” and “why do we have to recycle?”.
Guest stars including John Legend, Jennifer Garner and Zoe Saldana pop up in each episode to help the cute little creatures educate the audience. Season 4 is expected in July 2021.
Why we love it
- Each episode focuses on a different question the StoryBots have to answer, and while it’s educational, it really succeeds at making learning fun.
- The episodes are broken down into easily digestible segments, which makes it simple for your toddlers to follow.
- It’s surprisingly funny – adults will find it entertaining to watch along with the kids. And you might learn something, too!
- There are some great A-list guest stars! It’s lovely to watch the little StoryBots interact with them.
- The StoryBots are friendly little creatures who live in a world behind our screens, so it’s a lovely way to show that technology isn’t scary.
- The animation is gorgeous – it’s a visual delight!
Watch the trailer
About the author
Sara Khaled is based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, where she lives with her husband and four young children, aged between 6 months and 10 years old. A public health graduate of King Saud University, Sara is a co-founder of Moon Community Club, and passionate advocate of causes that promote social development.