If you’re prone to post-Ramadan sluggishness, this nutrient-rich mango, kale* and lemon detox smoothie could be just what you need to reset your body
Delicious and mild-tasting mango is packed with antioxidants, as well as vitamins A, C and E, and is high in fiber and low in calories. Phytochemicals found in mangoes have been studied for their anti-inflammatory properties and are thought to aid digestion.
Don’t be afraid to try kale in your smoothie! The leaves of this superfood can be a little tough, but soaking them in water for an hour will soften them a little if you’re worried about the texture. The health benefits are worth it though. Like mango, kale is rich in antioxidants, and is a good source of vitamins C and K as well as Beta-carotene.
The celery in this recipe packs a punch, but you can add a little oat or almond milk for a milder taste if you prefer.
*Find out more about the health-boosting properties of Kale at happydiyhome.com
– 1 cup fresh mango
– ½ cup chopped celery
– 1 cup kale (tough stalks removed) – soaked in water (optional)
– ¼ lemon – squeezed for juice
– 1 banana
– 1 tbsp milled flax or linseed
– Splash of oat or almond milk (optional)
Put all the ingredients into a blender and whizz until very smooth. Serve immediately over ice, or transfer to a bottle to refrigerate for up to two days. Be sure to shake the bottle gently before serving.
Tell us what you think…
Did you enjoy this recipe, or have a smoothie of your own to share? We’d love to hear from you. Send us a message in the comments below.
– Why we crave sugar and how to beat it
– Antioxidants explained: How to boost your immune system
– How a simple blood test could be the key to optimum health
– How to have a healthy Ramadan by Dr Aseel Alsaleh
– Discover more about the Celiac Association
– Why Tai Chi is the exercise we should all be doing